How To Know If You Qualify for An Injury Claim?

Motor Vehicle or slip and fall accidents can occur any time of the year with some being more serious than others. If after your accident you walked away relatively unharmed with just a few bruises and a little bit of shock, you might think that a claim is unnecessary.

Many Albertans aren’t sure if their injury is significant enough to be considered for an Accident Injury Claim, or what the time frame is for injuries that become apparent some time after an accident has occurred. We hope in this blog post to provide some clarity so you know what next steps to take after your incident.

There are certain requirements set in place for individuals and organizations to ensure the safety of others. Failing to meet these requirements can result in being held accountable for injuries sustained by others due to negligence. One example would be that business owners are to ensure that their premises are hazard-free and safe for customers.


If you suffered an injury after your accident, you may have an Accident Injury Claim if you meet the following requirements:

  • Your injury is mental, emotional, or physical


  • Your injury is the result of someone else’s negligence, and


  • Your injury cost you money

In addition, If you incurred medical costs, missed out on income, will have to pay for care in the future, experienced pain and suffering, or experienced a loss of enjoyment of life, you are entitled to compensation and therefore, have a claim.


Usually, you have two years to initiate a personal injury lawsuit, and in Alberta, you have 90 days to file an injury claim with your insurance provider. However, some factors and variables may have a significant effect on the various time-frames (such as if the accident occurred on municipality-owned property or if you are the victim of an accident where the at-fault driver/owner is unknown, etc.). Being unaware of these details could cause you to miss vital deadlines.

What to do if you are injured?

The first steps after an injury in Alberta are:

  1. Get an examination by a Primary Healthcare Practitioner to assess your injury
  2. Connect with police to file an injury accident report
  3. Fill out an AB-1: Notice of Loss and Proof of Claim Form keeping a copy for your own records and giving your insurance company the original, signed copy 
  4. Waiting for further instructions to provide more information to your insurance company, as well as being informed by the insurance company regarding the benefits to which you are entitled

Insurance companies prioritize their own bottom line over helping you to maximize your benefits. This is where we at McGuiness Law come in.

Our personal injury lawyers work for you and help you to navigate your injury claim. We have our own network of experts and healthcare practitioners and are able to help you cover your past, current and upcoming medical costs pertaining to many different types of injury, including, but not limited to: head, neck, brain and spinal cord.

At McGuiness Law, we are experts in negotiating settlements for:

  • Car Accidents
  • Truck Accidents
  • Motorcycle Accidents
  • ATV & Quading Accidents
  • Boat Accidents
  • Hit-And-Run Accidents
  • Snowmobile Accidents
  • Bicycle & Pedestrian Accidents
  • Aircraft Accidents
  • And Other Vehicular Accidents

If you have questions about your accident, are unsure of which steps to take or how to deal with your insurance company, we can help you get started with a free consultation.


This doesn’t mean that you are obligated to work with us, but rather, is a stepping-stone to get you headed in the right direction. Our team is dedicated to helping guide you through what can feel like an overwhelming process while ensuring that you feel supported and are receiving the appropriate compensation for your injuries.

To connect with us, call 780-900-7941 today.