Motor Vehicle Accidents Claims Program

Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program (MVAC)

Getting into a motor vehicle accident is stressful enough on its own. There are insurance companies to deal with, deadlines to be met to file certain documents, vehicle repairs, etc. However, another layer of concern and complexity can be added when the driver of the vehicle that struck you is uninsured or cannot be identified (such as in a hit-and-run accident).

How do you deal with a situation where you don’t know whom to contact? How can you claim damages for injuries when there is nobody to sue?

If you are an Alberta resident, the accident occurred within Alberta, and you are not at fault for the accident, you might be able to use the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program (MVAC). This program was introduced in 1947 and provides some relief in cases where the at-fault driver was uninsured or is unknown. MVAC is a last-resort option when all other avenues have failed.

Before looking into accessing MVAC benefits, you must have attempted the following:

  1. You have looked into all insurance coverage options (including partial insurance).
  2. You have checked with your insurance company regarding medical expense coverage, as MVAC does not cover medical expenses, with very few unique exceptions.
  3. You have filed a lawsuit against the person or people who caused the accident and are liable for your injuries.
  4. You have served notice of the lawsuit on those liable.
  5. If the driver’s identity is not known, you must find witnesses of the accident and gather information from them.

Besides first attempting the above options, MVAC does come with a few more limitations as well. These include:

  • Only being compensated for bodily injury and not for any property damage.
  • Only covering accidents where at-fault drivers are uninsured or unknown. If there were multiple at-fault parties involved in the collision, you are required by law to first go to the drivers for compensation.
  • Maximum payout of $200,000.
  • The victim must be an Alberta resident, and the accident must have happened in Alberta; otherwise, MVAC does not apply.
  • The claim must be filed within 90 days of the accident.

If you’ve been in an accident, the best thing that you can do is to contact a personal injury lawyer. Insurance companies generally prioritize their bottom line over the well-being of their customers. This is why the guidance that a lawyer can provide to ensure that the benefits and payouts available to you are maximized is invaluable.

At McGuiness Law, we want to help you do just that. Beyond being passionate about what we do, we care about our clients and find joy and satisfaction in seeing them receive the compensation they deserve.

For more information, give us a call at 1-833-585-4145, or visit our website.